Taku Glacier by Air, Water & Ice
Fly to the Taku Glacier, Cruise the calving face and then land on a glacier.
This is an amazing tour for which no description can adequately do justice. First, you get a fantastic flight over Juneau, the icefield and the mighty Taku glacier. You land on a remote platform, where you gear up for your airboat ride along the face of the Taku glacier. And if that is not enough, you'll still get a chance to land on the glacier on your return to Juneau.
Your pilot will shut down the aircraft and escort you on a walkabout of the advancing level of the glacier, where key glacial features like crevasses, moulins, blue ice and ice falls are present. The combined experience of seeing the glacier from the air and water and finally, walking on it and feeling the glacier beneath your boots is amazing. The final leg of your journey home is another breathtaking flight back to the helicopter base where you’ll be able to warm up and share your experiences with our staff and other travelers before your return drive back to your pick up location.
The actual tour is approximately 2 hours from lift off at the heliport to return to the helicopter base.
Additional time is estimated for transportation to and from the heliport.
Allow 3 hours total tour time from downtown Juneau.
*Due to extremely limited seating on this tour, the comfort seat (extra space on the aircraft) for those over 250 lbs is $150.
Total Tour Time
- All reservations are reviewed and evaluated with reference to cruise ship schedules to insure a timely return to your ship.
- You will be supplied with full-body Mustang suit and glacier boots that go over your shoes.
- The Glacier is typically 5-10 degrees cooler than downtown; Dress warmly and comfortably in layers.
- Bring your sunglasses and cameras!
- Your pilot is your guide and will choose a unique landing based on the best features of the day, shut down the aircraft upon landing.
- Each helicopter can seat up to six passengers, provided the weight and balance calculations work out in each aircraft.
- Only one helicopter is assigned for each departure, so we book to 5 but can go to 6 if weights suit the payload and balance of aircraft
- FAA regulations require that your hands are free when boarding the aircraft: Cameras/binoculars can be worn around neck or fit in your pockets: . Bags can be checked at base before boarding.
- To ensure the comfort of all travelers, passengers weighing 280 pounds (127 Kg) or more must pay an additional $150.00 to secure extra space on the aircraft and glacier airboat
- If your flight is weather-cancelled, you have the option of re-scheduling or receiving a full refund.
- If your ship or flight is delayed and we are unable to reschedule to your satisfaction, a full refund will be issued
- Cancellations for refund are accepted up to 7 days prior and incur 10% cancellation fee.